Pets are prone to illness and injuries just like humans, and the treatment can sometimes be expensive. Like other types of insurance, pet insurance protects your dog or cat in case of an emergency, illness, or accident.
For a nominal premium payment, pet owners can rest easy knowing that their animals can be protected.
Over 1 crore 90 lakhs pets are already insured by pet insurers, and the Indian pet market is currently valued at more than Rs. 400 crore.
Since pet insurance isn’t a popular insurance product here are a few dos and don’ts to help pet owners get the most out of the best pet insurance and save money.
Dos for pet insurance
- Start early:Like typical life insurance for humans, pet insurance favours the young. Your premium costs may go down the younger (and healthier) your pet is.
Premiums for older animals are likely to cost more to maintain because they may be more prone to becoming sick and need more regular care. So, if you want to save money, start early.
- Compare rates: Just like how you compare various health insurance policies for yourself before buying one, do similar research to find good pet insurance for dogs that have a low premium but great coverage. *
For instance, you receive a dog insurance premium estimate for your 20-pound, 1-year-old dog, who is a Shih Tzu. Now request quotes for the same age, weight, and breed from two more pet insurance providers. This may guarantee that the estimate you evaluate is accurate and you get the best pet insurance. *
- Speak with your vet, please:Your veterinarian is knowledgeable about your pet’s health and breed-specific health problems. Ask them about pet insurance for dogs, cats, and other pets to get the most out of their knowledge.
What kind of protection do they advise? What should you be protected against? What can you skip? Your vet can assist you in customizing your pet insurance coverage to benefit both you and your pet. Doing this can avoid paying for insurance you may not use. *
Don’ts with pet insurance
- Pre-existing conditions won’t be covered: Pet insurance excludes those with pre-existing conditions contrary to human health insurance. If your pet’s pre-existing diseases come to light, their insurance coverage may be denied, leaving you with an out-of-pocket expense. *
- Expect not all breeds to be priced equally: Sure, you might think Frenchies are cuter than other dogs, but the price may reflect that. Some breeds can be more prone to illnesses.
For instance, a German Shepherd may be more likely than most other breeds to require medical surgery for hip dysplasia. Similarly, Brachycephalic Airway Obstruction Syndrome (BAOS) is common in breeds like English bulldogs. *
- Do not anticipate immediate coverage for visits: As previously stated, pet insurance functions differently from standard health insurance for people.
So, don’t anticipate that your visit to the vet may be covered immediately. When you have pet insurance, you must first pay for treatments yourself. After you have submitted a claim and it has been approved, your insurance company may then compensate you. *
Pet insurance may be new in India, but a lot of pet owners are already aware of its importance. Protect your cats and dogs with pet insurance just like you would protect your family. So if you are interested in buying one for your beloved pet soon, do your own research or talk to a pet insurance expert right away. *
* Standard T&C Apply
‘Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.’