Colorado is a fault state. If the other driver was at fault, you can seek compensation for your injuries and losses, after a car accident in Pueblo. Surprisingly, people have all sorts of ideas about car accidents and related circumstances. No matter the circumstances, it is always wise to work with a Pueblo car accident lawyer, who can guide on your rights and state laws. This post is dedicated to busting some of the common misconceptions related to car accident lawsuits.
- The laws are same everywhere. Every state has its own auto accident laws. In Colorado, you are required to report a car accident, if there was injury, death, or property damage involved. Like we mentioned, you can talk to a lawyer to know further, but as a general rule, always report an accident, regardless of who was at fault.
- Insurance companies will offer a fair settlement. This is probably the biggest myth out there. Insurance companies make money through premiums, and not by paying for claims. The claims adjuster will want to settle your claim for as low as possible, and they may adhere to bad faith insurance tactics at times. You have to be smart with how you negotiate the settlement.
- Everyone can file a claim and get a settlement. In car accident cases, the biggest challenge is to prove fault and liability. Just because you were injured doesn’t mean you can get a settlement from the other driver. You have to prove that the driver was at fault. Hiring an attorney is also about that – investigating the matter.
- All car accident lawyers are expensive. In most states, including Colorado, car accident lawyers work on a contingency fee. This means that you don’t have to pay the lawyer immediately. If the lawyer wins, they will ask for a part of the settlement as their fee, usually between 25% and 40%.
- Winning a car accident lawsuit is easy. It’s not. Insurance companies may make things complicated using laws and facts. For example, if you had a share of fault, this can significantly impact your settlement, and the at-fault driver’s insurer will try to pin the blame on you.
When it comes to car accident lawsuits, always trust an attorney to handle the insurance claim and related paperwork. The first meeting with a personal injury lawyer doesn’t have to cost anything, and you can always discuss things further about your claim and settlement.